Friday, August 31, 2012

LAPD VS Unarmed Women


I stared this blog nearly four months ago after reading about a Dekalb County police officer who kicked a pregnant woman in the stomach.

Last month while my girlfriend and I were driving from Virginia to Texas we passed through Dekalb County Georgia.  The only reason I even realized it was because I saw a police speed trap on the side of the road.  When I saw Dekalb County proudly emblazoned on the side of the car it was almost like seeing a celebrity, a member of the police department who inspired me to start this blog.

On the entire other side of the country though, the LAPD has spent the past few days putting Dekalb County's Dickhead Cops to shame.  I normally paraphrase and quote the articles I find, but in this case I think it is more appropriate that I just copy and paste the entire blog from Boing Boing that popped up in my Google Reader this afternoon:

A drug-addicted woman who dropped off her two children at a police station because she recognized that she was unable to care for them was tracked down by LAPD officers who reportedly told her to "get your fat ass in the car," threatened to stomp her genitals, then followed through on that threat.

35-year-old Alesia Thomas is reported to have been "combative." After being stomped in the groin, she suffocated while being taken into custody, and died.
Why do we know about this, and why are five LAPD officers now under internal and criminal investigation in her death? The altercation in front of her apartment was captured by a patrol car's video camera.
This news comes in the same week that Los Angeles Police chief Charlie Beck vowed an investigation into another video that shows two LAPD officers body-slam another woman, a 5'4" tall mother and nurse targeted for using her cell phone while driving.
Michelle Jordan, 34, pulled over into a Del Taco parking lot after being flagged down by police. She then got out of her car. Surveillance video from the Del Taco camera shows that two male police officers slammed her into the ground—twice. Then, they exchange a celebratory fist-bump.
To protect and serve.





No comments:

Post a Comment